Modern Foreign Languages
French at Fordbridge
Bonjour, nous apprenons a’ parler Français!
Fordbridge wants every child to have the opportunity to learn an additional language. The selection of French, as our chosen subject, was based on this being the prevalent language on the curriculum of local senior schools.
The aim is for each child is for them to communicate more effectively, through listening and speech, whilst developing a greater appreciation of different cultures by understanding what it is to be a global citizen.
During EYFS to Year 2, languages are taught progressively encouraging the children to express themselves through simple exposure in the form of greetings, songs and rhymes. This provides a foundation before transitioning to learning the language.
From Year 3 upwards the children have dedicated time to progress their learning through a scheme called Kapow. This incorporates essential language strands such as speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, intercultural understanding and language detective skills.
Whilst following the Kapow lesson structure, we ensure that the activities taught are suitable for our children to support, encourage and challenge them to achieve their potential.
All children in Key Stage 2 are given opportunities to:
- Listen to French and learn everyday words and phrases
- Engage in conversations to share ideas and opinions as well as being able to ask and answer questions
- Read French texts and stories
- Learn songs, poems, rhymes and stories in another language to help with vocabulary and also with cultural understanding
- Write words and phrases from memory as well as describing people and places with basic sentences