Modern Foreign Languages
French at Fordbridge
Bonjour, nous apprenons a’ parler Français!
At Fordbridge we believe that every child should have the opportunity to learn a language, supporting children with opportunities to develop their speaking and listening, communicating more effectively with others, we also learn about a variety of countries and cultures, developing an understanding of what it is to be a global citizen. The children study France through geography in Year 2, this provides a basis before transitioning to learning the language itself. When choosing our language, we looked and spoke to the local Secondary schools, this supported in our decision making.
Through EYFS - Year 2 French is taught through simple exposure in the form of greetings, songs and rhymes.
From Year 3 upwards the children have a dedicated time to learn the language, focusing on the building blocks of a French through phonics, grammar and vocabulary.
All children in Key Stage 2 are given opportunities to learn how to:
- Listening to a language and joining in to learn everyday words and phrases
- Learning how to have conversations in another language to share ideas and opinions as well as being able to ask and answer questions
- Reading texts and stories in another language
- Learning songs, poems, rhymes and stories in another language to help with vocabulary but also with cultural understanding
- Writing some words and phrases from memory as well as describing people and places with basic sentences